When I hear the words ‘post-apocalyptic,’ movies like “The Road” and “Mad Max” have me programmed to think of desert wastelands and ruined, lawless cities.
But in contrast, the Bible paints a very positive picture of what life will be like after Armageddon when our Messiah returns to set up His kingdom on the earth!
The coming age will be much better than our current situation.
- Today we live in a world of increasing lawlessness, violence, sickness and death. Today’s world systems—including governments, religions, and economies—are ruled by Satan, angelic powers of darkness, and selfish men.
- In the coming millennium, the world will be ruled by our Savior, Jesus, through resurrected martyrs and faithful, honest men. Instead of lawlessness, violence, sickness and death, we’ll abundantly enjoy life, peace, and prosperity.
Everyone will live in peace and prosperity, enjoying their own grapevines and fig trees, for there will be nothing to fear. The LORD of Heaven’s Armies has made this promise! (Micah 4:4)
Planet Earth is starting the birth pangs of the age to come. Natural disasters, wars, and economic collapse loom on the horizon. These will increase until the kingdoms of the present world system are destroyed and replaced by the millennial reign of our Messiah.
Apprehension about this future is natural. However, just as childbirth is difficult and painful, but the pain is quickly forgotten when a new child is born, the coming birth of a new age will be difficult and painful, but the result will be glorious.
Here is what you can expect to experience in the coming, post-apocalyptic earth…
At His coming, Jesus will completely defeat the current, evil rulers of this world. Satan, the angelic powers of darkness, and corrupt human rulers will all be cast down when Jesus establishes His reign over all nations on earth.
the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, and this kingdom will not be left to another people. It will shatter all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, but will itself stand forever. (Daniel 2:44)
And He has a name written on His robe and on His thigh: King of kings and Lord of lords. (Revelation 19:16)
Look, a righteous king is coming! And honest princes will rule under him. (Isaiah 32:1)
For 1000 years after Armageddon, resurrected martyrs shall reign with Him, as princes in His government.
Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their forehead or their hands. They all came to life again, and they reigned with the Messiah for a thousand years. (Revelation 20:4)
Every region will have an administrative and learning center, led by immortal, resurrected sons of God who connect each region to the kingdom’s capital in Jerusalem—the ‘city of the great king’. (Matthew 5:35)
‘Immortal, resurrected sons of God’ are those martyrs resurrected in the 1st resurrection, who reign with the Messiah for 1000 years. (see Rev 20:4 above). They provide:
- Regional governance as the Messiah’s delegated authorities
- Spiritual teaching:
- As immortal, resurrected sons of God, they’ll teach heavenly truths they’ve seen and know from personal experience.
- There’ll be one faith and one true religion. All church denominations and false religions will be displaced by the truth.
Each local town will have a group of elders, providing:
- Local eldership governance
- Secular and spiritual teaching
- Communal worship
- Community storehouse and hospitality center
Each family will have a small homestead, with a house, animals, and garden that abundantly feeds and shelters them.
Drawing from The Self-Sufficiency Handbook by Alan and Gill Bridgewater, 2007
Each family’s land will be assigned as a 1000-year allotment from God.
Homes will be functional, comfortable, and attractive; built from local materials with help from local neighbors and regional craftsmen, like an Amish barn-raising.
No rent, mortgage, or taxes.
Each family will belong within a local community that provides a trading center, local eldership, secular and religious education, and communal worship.
Family homesteads will produce almost all of what’s needed for a full, healthy life.
However, some trade will be necessary to get things a homestead can’t produce, like the wind generator and solar panels in the drawing above. Also, industrial workers and traveling specialists, such as craftsmen, sailors, and teachers won’t always be able to raise their own food, or sleep in their own house every night.
- A hospitality center in each town will provide food and lodging for travelers, etc.
- People will trade/barter labor or homestead produce for needful things
- Use gold, silver, etc. as money?
Only One Way to God
The earthly reign of Jesus begins after He completely subjugates (casts down) all these entities:
- Satan and his angels – chained and imprisoned for 1000 years (Revelation 20:1-3)
- Antichrist and his false prophet thrown alive into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 19:20)
- Every national government that currently exists on the earth, including the USA and Israel, will be shattered into dust forever. (Daniel 2:44)
Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14:6)
Glorified sons of God will teach God’s truth in all nations.
Each person will be encouraged to learn and grow in God’s character until they grow into mature sonship, like Christ Himself.
If a person rebels, his property and work won’t be blessed.
Blessing or Cursing?
Blessing: Everyone who ‘walks with’ YHWH will be blessed with spiritual and material abundance, prospering in life, health, and relationships.
- God’s Spirit provides every person with life-giving teaching, guidance, wisdom, and peace.
- God will provide the rain, fertility, and weather conditions for crops and livestock to maximize life-sustaining food production, plus oil and wine.
- No taxes will be required because people will need to donate their overflowing abundance. Their gifts will be more than enough to pay for government administration, schools, infrastructure-building, etc.
- Life spans will be greatly increased, so that some will live throughout the entire 1000-year millennium. (Isaiah 65:20)
- There’ll be no need for soldiers, police, or locked doors. No fear of violence. No war.
They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will no longer take up the sword against nation, nor train anymore for war. (Isaiah 2:4)
Cursing: Everyone who chooses to rebel against YHWH will lack provision, wither in health, and eventually die.
- Poverty and sickness will only come upon people who choose to walk contrary to God’s way of life, love, and blessing.
- Rain (blessings) will be withheld from all who refuse to obey YHWH.
And if the people of Egypt will not go up and enter in, then rain will not fall on them; this will be the plague the LORD inflicts on the nations who do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. (Zechariah 14:18)
- The penalty for deliberate sin will be automatic, and evident for others to see.
- In the Messiah’s kingdom, the power of life and God’s blessing reigns over sickness, so there’s no need for hospitals, doctors, or nurses.
- Divine healing is available to anyone that gets injured, and for all rebels who repent.
Conclusion: Don’t fear the future. There’s hope!
In the coming Great Tribulation, rulership of this world will be wrenched from Satan’s hands.
The glorious result will be 1000-years of life, prosperity, and blessing.